counteR

blogspot stats

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Past Simple Tense

Past Simple Tense
(example : to play)

The Past Simple tense of regular verbs is formed by adding -ed to the infinitive :
(example: Infinitive : to play Past Simple : I played.)

The auxiliary did is used to form the negative and interrogative forms.

For irregular verbs, please see the irregular verbs table.

Affirmative

Negative

Interrogative


Long Form

Contracted Form


I played I did not play I didn't play Did I play?
You played You did not play You didn't play Did you play?
He/she/it played He/she/it did not play He/she/it didn't play Did he/she/it play?
We played We did not play We didn't play Did we play?
You played You did not play You didn't play Did you play?
They played They did not play They didn't play Did they play?

The Past Simple is used to talk about finished actions in a finished period of time.

example :
Yesterday evening, I played tennis with a friend.
In 2005, I started taking tennis lessons.
When I was at school, I hated history.
Five minutes ago, I finished the report for my boss.
Last week I attended a meeting in Tokyo.

www.learn-english-today.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Template by:
Free Blog Templates